Import PST to Office 365 Using Network Upload & Drive Shipping
Due to increase in cloud technology, more and more organizations are planning for move to cloud platform like Office 365. As for most organizations, who are unfamiliar with Office 365 cloud, it difficult to perform switching from email client like Outlook to Office 365. This increase the user query “how to import PST to Office 365 cloud effortlessly?”. Therefore, to help all those users, we have created this blog. In this, we will provide best methods for the upload pst to office 365 process using manual and automated solutions for solving this problem.
Why Switch From Outlook to Office 365?
Cloud-based applications provide more beneficial services as compared to desktop-based applications. In a similar way, MS Outlook mailbox data on Office 365 account has many advantages.
- Office 365 Outlook can be used to store email, contacts, calendar and task, etc.
- User can access the Office 365 account data from any where using internet
- Provides the online storage location to store desktop data for online use.
- Easy for the admin to manage the activity
- Facility of shared mailboxes
How to Import PST to Office 365 Cloud?
Generally, the most common manual method upload PST file into Office 365 are by using Network Upload and Drive Shipping which is provided by Microsoft for its users. Details for both the methods are below:
Method # 1: Import PST to Office 365 Using Network Upload
Microsoft provides its own manual solution for import PST files to Office 365. This method is completely free but requires high-technical knowledge for its execution. If you are comfortable with the working of PowerShell commands then this method can solve your problem. Perform the following steps carefully as given below:
1. At first, copy the SAS URL & install the Azure AzCopy.
2. Then, upload the PST file to Microsoft Office 365.
3. Now, you can view the uploaded PST files in Office 365 account.
4. In this step, make the PST Import mapping file.
5. After that, create a PST Import job in Office 365.
6. Finally, filter the PST data & start importing the PST file.
Shortcomings of Network Upload Method
There are some drawbacks of manual techniques for importing PST file to Office 365. Here, some of the major disadvantages of manual processes are given:
- The Office 365 import service is available for limited countries.
- Manual methods need to follow lots of steps that are time-consuming.
- It is difficult to upload the large-sized PST file by using manual procedures.
- Technical knowledge is required to understand the complex manual methods.
- Any mishandling of the steps may lead to file corruption or deletion in Office 365.
- Strong knowledge of PowerShell commands are required for execution.
Method #2: Use Drive Shipping for Import PST to Office 365 tool
Many non-technical user faces difficulty in using Network upload. Then, Microsoft provided another approach which doesn’t require much input from user. All the complex commands and procedure will be done by the Microsoft. For importing PST to Office 365 using Drive Shipping, Microsoft will cost 2$ per GB of the PST file.
Basically, in Drive Shipping method, users need to copy the PST files to a hard drive and then they can physically move or ship the hard drive to the Microsoft data center. Moreover, it is an efficient technique to move the bulk amount of Outlook emails to Office 365. It can also transfer the large amounts of the archive mailbox data items to the organization.
Import PST To Office 365 Using Automated Tool
To overcome the above-discussed drawbacks of the manual solutions, it is highly suggested to choose reliable third party software like Outlook to Office 365 Migration tool. This is a very beneficial tool that can easily upload Outlook PST file to the Office 365 account. In addition, the software provides a self- explanatory user interface that makes the entire migration process facile and easy for the users. The software is capable to upload the complete emails, contacts, calendars from Outlook to Office 365. It is also supported by all versions of the Windows operating system. Additionally while import PST to Office 365, the tool provides multiple filtering options to upload only selective data from PST file.
Following are the difference between Automated & Manual method for importing PST to Office 365:
|Features||Automated Tool||Manual Method|
|PoweShell Command||Not Required||Required|
|High Techinical Skill||Not Required||Required|
|Import PST to Office 365 Shared mailbox||Yes||No|
|Impersonation||Admin and User||Admin Only|
|Import Selective data||Category filter||No Category Filter|
|Incremental Import||Available||Not Available|
Features of Automated Tool
- Admin and User login options
- Import complete data from a PST file
- Multiple options to add PST file into the tool
- An easy option for mapping PST file and its associated user account
- Migrate PST file into Office 365 shared mailboxes using Admin account
- Incremental import option to skip already imported data.
- Category and Data Filter for the selective data import from pst files.
Steps: Import PST to Office 365 Cloud via Office 365 Import Utility
In order to upload the Outlook PST files to Office 365 account, you need to perform the following steps that are given below:
- First of all, Download, Install and Run the Office 365 PST Import tool.
- Choose the desired Login option in the tool.
Select the Login option as Admin for import pst to Office 365 multiple accounts and enter Office 365 admin credentials. This method doesn’t require user credentials in which you are importing PST file.
Without Admin login, during the mapping of PST file and its associated Office 365 account, you need to provide user credentials and authenticate it.
- Then, choose Add File or Add Folder option to import PST files within the application.
- Now, you have an option to select Categories like emails, contacts, calendars, notes, etc.
- If you need to migrate selective data within some specific date range, then you can apply the Date Filter option.
- Additionally, you can provide choose options like ‘Include Folder’, ‘Attach Outlook PST File’, ‘Incremental Import‘ option.
Note: Incremental import feature will skip the already imported data from a pst file previously imported and migrates only new and updated data.
- Finally, click on the Start button & the software successfully import PST to Office 365 mailbox.
It is a very challenging task to import PST to Office 365 Cloud. So, after considering the challenges faced by users during migration, we have covered both manual and third-party solutions. But, manual approaches have executed along with its limitations. Thus, to overcome these limitations, it is advised to choose a reliable and secure application. The Office 365 Import tool ensures the migration of Outlook data to Office 365 without any data loss.