Steps For Downloading Gmail Emails to Computer | How to Guide
Query: “Hello all! I have a large number of emails stored in my Gmail account. I want to save all my Gmail emails to computer’s desktop. Thus, I can easily view all messages from my Gmail account to PC. Can anyone tell me how can I download Gmail emails to computer? Thanks for the help.”
If you are searching for a way to download emails from Gmail to desktop, do not worry about it anymore. Like you, many Gmail users want to save all the emails from Gmail to PC. Though the method is not that difficult, but some users do not know and they suffer more. To help users who want to download emails from Gmail to computer, we will share a complete guideline that will help to understand this process.
Download Gmail Emails to Computer – Manual Approach
First of all, people are not aware that Gmail has functionality by which users can download a copy of data items from various Google products. It is a simple way to download Gmail emails to PC, but, still has some challenges. Thus, it is not the best way to archive a large amount of emails from Google account.
So, in such situation where users have multiple email messages, then they can go with this workaround. To use this workaround, go through the following set of instructions:
- Login to Google Gmail account.
- Navigate to the top-right corner and click on the profile icon. Then, choose Google Account.
- From the left side pane, select Data & personalization option.
- Now, scroll down Data & personalization page and select an option Download your data.
- On the Download your data window screen, only turn ON Mail option and press Next.
- Afterward, you need to choose file type in which email gets downloaded on the PC.
- Next, move to another option, i.e., Archive size (max). This feature will create many archive files that have similar size. You can select any file size like 1 GB, 2 GB, 4 GB etc., as per your requirement.
- Select the mode through which the Google team will send the resultant file download link. Next, click on the CREATE ARCHIVE option.
- Now, wait till your archive file is not prepared.
- After preparing the archive file, a link is sent to Gmail account. Now, you can download .zip file by selecting that link. After that, you can extract the .mbox file from downloaded .zip file. In case, if you want to access those email messages, then import MBOX file in its supportive mail client.
Challenges Faced While Downloading Gmail Emails to Computer Manually
There are many consequences due to which users need to search for another method. Some of them are mentioned below:
- This method takes a long time to make the archive file. But, many organizations cannot spend more time to download Gmail emails individually. That’s the only reason, this approach is good to download a few Gmail emails on desktop.
- The resultant files that may extract from downloaded .zip file is in MBOX file format. To open this particular file, you have to import it in a supportive email client such as Mozilla Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, etc.
- Due to a lack of internet connection, users should perform the same procedure again.
- Only limited tries are available to download the archive. After attempts expire, you need to request to create an archive again.
- Data can be downloaded in the MBOX file format only.
What If Manual Method Does Not Work? Any Smart and Reliable Way?
To overcome all the weaknesses of the manual solution, users can opt for an instant and trustworthy solution. Gmail Email Backup is one such amazing software, which can download Gmail data including emails, contacts, documents, calendars locally. With this utility, one can create the backup of Gmail into various file formats like EML, PST, MSG, and MBOX. It offers Date filters option through which users can download the entire Gmail account data within a certain date range. The tool is designed with a simple and user-friendly interface that makes it easy for a technical as well as non-technical user to work with it. Some of the more interesting and useful features of the tool are listed below:
- Facilitates Delete After Download option to free up storage space.
- Offers an Incremental Backup feature to download new or updated data.
- It doesn’t require Microsoft Outlook Installation to save Gmail emails to PST format.
- Pause and Resume download functionality.
- Category filter for downloading selective data from the Gmail account.
- Download Gmail emails to the desired destination location on computer.
- The tool allows maintaining the Gmail account data download history.
- Save Gmail data in EML, MSG formats also.
G Suite Migrator Purchase Now
Quick Steps to Download Gmail Emails to Computer
- Launch the Gmail Backup Software
- Enter Gmail account credentials and login
- Select the Category of data & export format
- Choose the destination location for downloaded data
- Click on the Start button to begin the download process
The Bottom Line
After considering the user’s query, we have described a manual solution to download Gmail emails to computer. But sometimes users may face various challenges while implementing the manual approach. So, in this article, we have suggested a reliable third-party tool. This software is best that helps to download all emails from Gmail account to the computer’s desktop without any data loss.