How to Transfer Outlook Data to New Computer?
Learn How to Transfer Emails From Outlook to Another Computer
MS Outlook is widely used email client to store emails. But, sometimes users want to migrate their Outlook data into a new system. Because users have replaced their old computer with a new computer and because of many more reasons. Also, one cannot share and synchronize Outlook data items between two computer system. Therefore, a user wants to transfer their Outlook account to a new system, but only back up of PST file may not be enough for this. So, there are various possible methods given in this post on how to transfer Outlook data to new computer.
Manual Solutions to Transfer Outlook Data to New Computer
For Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, there are following steps are mentioned below to transfer Outlook Emails to another computer. Repeat these steps precisely to avoid any data loss during transfer of files.
Step 1. Transfer Outlook Data to PST File
First of all, one needs to transfer Outlook data into PST file. So, there are the steps that will help you to move Outlook emails to external hard drive:
- Close the Outlook program on the system & click on the Start button or press the Windows key from the keyboard
- After that, type Run in the search bar, then a small run box will appear
- Here, type Control Panel in the Run box, then a Control Panel window will appear.
- Now, select User Accounts option from the Pick a Category page
- Next, click on the Mail icon to open the Mail Setup – MS Outlook dialogue box
- Now, click on the Show Profiles from the Profiles section
- After that, a Mail dialogue box will appear
- Then, under the General tab, choose the appropriate profile & click on Properties option
- Now, from the new Mail dialogue box, click on the Data Files option
- In next step, click on the Personal Folders Service under the Name to backup PST file
- Next, click on the Settings, to check the folder location where the moved PST file is saved
- After that, close all the Properties windows
- Now, copy PST file to another drive on the system or burn it to a CD or DVD drive
- Finally, move this copy to the new computer system.
Step 2. Transfer Single folder of Outlook to Hard Drive
Alternatively, users can also try to transfer single folders of Outlook to the hard drive. Follow these given below steps to move Outlook data to a new computer:
- First, in MS Outlook application, go to the File » Options, then Outlook options window will appear
- Now, from the left pane of the Outlook options, click on the Advanced link option
- After that, click on the Export button from the Export section
- Then, Import and Export Wizard box will appear. Then, click on Export to a file option from the list & click on the Next button to continue
- Now, from the Export to a File section, click on the Outlook data file & click on the Next button
- In next step, select the required folder & click on the Next button
- After that, browse the folder location where the exported PST file will be saved
- Under Save exported file name as option, give a name for the new PST file
- Finally, click on the Finish button. It completes creating a new PST file for a specific single folder in Outlook.
Also Read: How to Create PST File in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007?
Step 3. Transfer Emails From Outlook to Another Computer
This is the final steps to transfer Outlook PST file to new computer. Following are the steps to import PST file to a new computer system:
- First, from the Outlook program on the new computer, go to the File » Open » Import
- Then, Import and Export Wizard box will appear. Choose Import from another program or file & click on the Next button
- Next, select the Outlook PST file & click on the Next button
- After that, browse the folder location where the newly created Outlook file has been saved
- Now, from the Options section, select the Do not import duplicates option & click on the Next button
- Finally, select the folders that are required to be imported & click on Finish button.
Automatic Solution to Move Outlook Data File to New Computer
When the manual method fails to migrate, then a direct method is used to transfer Outlook data to new computer. This involves using a third-party tool like Revove OST to PST Converter tool . This automatic solution directly converts entire email items stored in Outlook database file to a new PST file. It can export emails, contacts, calendars, notes, tasks, journals, etc into a separate PST file. It also supports Outlook.bak file which is created by the Scan PST tool. This utility provides an option to date filter to migrate PST file by specific date. Moreover, the tool is compatible with all versions of Windows including Windows 10.
The Final Words
There are multiple solutions discussed in this blog on how to transfer Outlook data to new computer. There are many manual methods also mentioned here which may confuse users. Therefore, a reliable third party solutions overcomes all the limitations of the manual approach to transfer emails from outlook to another computer. It is an easy and proficient solution to export Outlook data file to new computer without any problem.