How to Fix Exchange Server Error Code 8224 – Ldifde.exe Failed to Import Schema?
Summary:- Most of the time users have encountered the exchange server error 8224 and fail to the load’s Schema when trying to update or upgrade Exchange server version from lower versions to 2010, 2013 and 2016. The article highlights the cause of the connection cannot be established the error code is 8224 and explains the quick tips to fix exchange server error code 8224 precisely.
Brief Introduction About Exchange Server EDB Database
Exchange Server is the simply the email and calendaring server developed by the Microsoft Inc.
It runs on the top of the Windows Server and follows the client server architecture. It created EDB file in the back end to save the of clients into it. Due to its comprehensive security features which make it feasible to server the large as the well small organization to meet their internal communication needs.
Location of Exchange Server Database File in Different Versions.
The location of EDB file according to Versions of Exchange Server.
For Exchange Server Version 2000 & 2003
C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mbd\priv.edb ( Private Folder)
C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\mbd\pub1.edb ( Public Folder)
For Exchange Server Version 2007
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\First Storage Group\Mailbox Database.edb
C:\Program\Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Mailbox\First Storage Group\Public Folder Database.edb
For Exchange Server Version 2010
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Mailbox Database\Mailbox Database.edb
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\Public Folder Database\Public Folder Database.edb
For Exchange Server Version 2013
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Mailbox\Mailbox database Name\Mailbox database Name.edb
For Exchange Server Version 2016
C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\Mailbox\Mailbox Database Name.edb
The Possible Reasons For Exchange Server Error Code 8224
There might be many reasons for the Error there was an error while running ‘ldifde.exe’ to import the schema file exchange 2013/2010. Some of them are explained below:-
1. There might be the possibility that some corruption or damage occurs in the files of exchange server in the default installation location on Windows Server while upgrading or updating the Exchange server.
2. Domain Controller is in Offline state or decommissioned incorrectly causing replica issues
3. The Corrupted File System will also cause for error, the connection cannot be established the error code is 8224
4. Abnormal deletion of files
5. Incomplete installation or uninstallation
6. Malicious software or virus attack can also cause the exchange server error 8224
The Solution to Fix the Exchange Server Error Code 8224 -Ldifde.exe Failed to Import Schema
There are two ways to fix there was an error while running ‘ldifde.exe’ to import the schema file exchange 2013/2010.
1. Manual Solution
2. Professional Solution
The Manual Method to Fix Exchange Server 8224 Error While Running ‘ldifde.exe’ to Import The Schema File Exchange
- Locate FMSO Server on the network
- Put the Exchange DVD in the schema master or use it from the network and make sure it is available to connect with Schema Master Server
- By using the command line, change the directory of DVD in the same directory in which exchange files are installed.
- Run the Command X:\Setup /PrepareSchema.
- Then after running this command X:\Setup /PrepareAD
The Professional or the Alternative approach to fix Exchange Server Error Code 8224
- Delete the Domain Controllers which are not in use or in stale conditions.
- Then Run the AD Metadata clean up
- Delete State Domain Controllers from the Active directory sites and services
- After they delete the unused or stale domain name servers using the DNS properties
- Restart or reboot all the Domain controllers in the site and run the setup /PrepareAD /OrganizationName: XXX
- After completion of above setup run setup/preparealldomains
Note if above methods pop any error message then you need to specify the organization name and run X:\Setup /PrepareAD /OrganizationName:” Your Organization Name”
The steps to Restore the Exchange Server after the completion of above methods
- Logged into your system using the Admin accounts
- Then after go to start >> All Programs >> System Tools >> System Restore
- Select Restore my computer to the earlier state and then click on next.
- Choose the most recent system restore points from the system restore
- Then click on the confirmation window and reboot the system
The Bottom Line
As far, we have discussed the common tips and tricks to fix exchange server 8224 error while running ‘ldifde.exe’ to import the schema file exchange. But the uncertainty always exists with the manual methods. This may cause the corruption issues in exchange database file. So make sure that you have the recent backup of exchange server database file. If any how exchange server database file gets corrupt then you can use Exchange EDB Repair tool for the same. It has the ability to fix all the issues related to exchange database file in quick time.