How to Add Hotmail to Thunderbird? – Learn Here!
In this technical guide, you learn all the possible solutions to Add Hotmail to Thunderbird using manual methods and professional solutions. Let us go one by one to complete this task!
Hotmail is a web-based email application that requires a browser to access the account. It saves all its data such as messages, contacts, etc on the cloud database. So, whenever a user needs to access the Hotmail.com account emails in an offline environment, then storing its messages in a desktop-based email application is the best option for users.
Table of Content
For this, Mozilla Thunderbird, a free desktop-oriented client, can be a great solution. It stores all its email files in MBOX format on the local system. Therefore, in this article, we are going to show you a complete guide on how to transfer Hotmail to Thunderbird on a new computer.
Manual Approach to Add Hotmail to Thunderbird
To perform this workaround, a user must have a Thunderbird installation on the Mac system. If it is not configured, then download Mozilla Thunderbird application from its official website. Thereafter, create a profile in it and then go through the below instructions to transfer emails from Hotmail to Thunderbird on the Mac machine.
Steps to Configure Hotmail Account into Mozilla Thunderbird
- Launch Thunderbird on the Mac system.
- Navigate to Tools and select “Account Settings” from the menu to open the Account Settings window.
- After that, click on the “Account Actions” drop-down button. Then, select Add Mail Account option to open Mail Account Setup Wizard.
- Under the “Mail Account” Setup window, type name, hotmail.com account email ID, and password in Your name, Email address, and Password box respectively.
- Next, click on Continue.
- After that, verify whether Mozilla applied the following settings or not:
- Ensure IMAP is selected.
- Incoming: IMAP, imap-mail.outlook.com, SSL
- Outgoing: SMTP, smtp-mail.outlook.com, STARTLES
- In such a situation, the settings show different data, then click on Manual Configuration and add the information manually. Under Incoming Section:
- Make sure IMAP is chosen.
- Type imap-mail.outlook.com in the Server hostname.
- In Port, select 993.
- Select SSL/TLS under the SSL column and select Normal under the Authentication section.
Under Outgoing Section
- Type smtp-mail.outlook.com for the Server name.
- Select 587 for Port.
- Next, pick STARTTLS under the SSL column
- Choose the Normal password for the Authentication method.
- At last, click on Done >> OK to set up an Outlook.com account in Mac Thunderbird.
By doing this, the mailbox of the Hotmail account synchronizes with its server and downloads all the emails on the local system. You can easily add Hotmail to your Thunderbird account manually. So, the user can easily access emails in the Thunderbird environment. Besides this, the MBOX file of Outlook.com emails gets created in the back end.
Unluckily, Manual Method Have Some Downsides
With the help of the above method, one can easily add a Hotmail account to Thunderbird applications on the Mac system. But, the contacts and calendar entries cannot be synchronized with the Mozilla Thunderbird program during account configuration. If the users wish to view all the data items of a Hotmail.com account such as email, contacts, and calendar entries, then the above-described cannot give you the desired result.
Adding Hotmail Account into Thunderbird Professionally
For an appropriate method to move emails, contacts, and calendars of a Hotmail.com account in Thunderbird, try Revove Hotmail Backup Tool to batch add hotmail to Thunderbird. It is an impeccable utility that creates a backup of Hotmail.com emails in Thunderbird-supported MBOX, PST, EML, MSG, or EMLX file formats.
Apart from this, it also saves contacts and calendars/shared calendars from the Outlook.com (Hotmail) account. You just need to enter its profile credentials and download the data items of Hotmail into the desired file format on the Mac system with this tool. Furthermore, this utility is available for Windows and Mac OS 10.8 or above versions.
Steps-by-Steps Process of Hotmail Emails to MBOX
1. Launch and Run Hotmail Backup Tool
2. Choose One of the “File Formats” to Backup Hotmail Account
3. Now, “Apply Date Filter” Option
4. Finally, take a Backup of your Hotmail Account
The self-guided interface of the software makes the complete process easy and smooth for any type of user. It is considered the best method that can add Hotmail to Thunderbird MBOX files. This file type can be further imported into Thunderbird easily.
Significant Features of Import Hotmail into Thunderbird
- Download a backup of your Hotmail account on the Mac system
- Save data items into MBOX, PST, EML, MSG or EMLX
- The facility of data deletion from the account after backup
- Emails header properties always remain the same
- Option of Include folder feature to add any folder
- Facility to Exclude Sent and Deleted Items folder
Many users want a reliable solution to Add Hotmail to Thunderbird on a new computer. Therefore, in this technical post, we have covered a manual way to access emails of an Outlook.com account in the Mozilla Thunderbird application. We have also discussed the pain point of manual workaround and hence, an easy solution to configure emails from Hotmail email to Mac Thunderbird also explained in this write-up.