How to Quickly Migrate G Suite to Office 365 Step-by-Step | 2 Methods
Looking for a solution to how to migrate G Suite to Office 365 platform? Well there are a bunch of ways to migrate data from Google Apps to Office 365 suite. Let us help you to find out the best solution as per your requirements in the below section.
“I have been using G Suite for 5 years in my company. At the same time, I also own another email client, i.e., Office 365 which is used for both personal and business purposes. In order to ease my work, I need to migrate G Suite mailboxes to Office 365. So, please suggest me the best method to do so. Thanks in advance!”
Just like the above scenario, there are many users who are searching for a better way to perform G Suite to Office 365 migration. This is because Office 365 offers various services and one can easily access his/ her data anywhere at any time.
So let’s get started!
Guide to Migrate G Suite to Office 365 Step-by-Step
There are following 2 methods to migrate Google Apps to Office 365. You can opt for any of these according to your convenience:
#1 Manual Method to Migrate G Suite Mailboxes to Office 365
Follow these 6 steps to manually migrate Google mailbox data into Office 365 account-
Step 1: Domain Verification
Initially, you must have to verify to Office 365 that you own a domain used for G Suite accounts.
Step 2: Create and Add Users to Office 365
you can either add single or multiple users to MS Office 365 as per their requirements.
- From the Admin Center, you can choose Users >> Active Users. Then, go to More option and select Import Multiple Users
- For Single User, go to Add a User option and enter the values manually. For multiple users, click on Import Multiple Users option to download the excel sheet and use it as a reference to add a user
- After arranging the Excel sheet, you need to click Browse button under Create and Upload File screen
- At the end, click on Verify option. After getting a confirmation message, press Next button
Step 3: Create a Migration List that Contains Gmail Mailbox
When creating the export file, make sure you know the password of Gmail mailboxes that they want to export. Moreover, temporary passwords are assigned to each mailbox at the time of migration. Although, you must be an admin in G Suite to reset the passwords. Also, one can transfer mailboxes in bulk.
- Now, login to G Suite admin console using the administrator credentials, i.e., username and password
- Select Users and, then choose the list of users from Google admin centre
- Choose each user to identify the user’s email address and note down the email addresses
- Then, sign in to Office 365 Admin Center and choose Users>> Active Users
- After that, you can start Excel and then, enter the credentials like email address, username, and password for each mailbox you need to migrate (enter a single mailbox per row)
- Save it as CSV format and close MS Excel
Step 4: Create Migration Endpoint with Gmail IMAP
To migrate G Suite to Office 365 successfully, Office 365 requires to connect and communicate with G suite. For this, Office 365 will use the migration endpoint.
- Open the Exchange Admin Center, go to Recipients >> Migration >> More >> Migration Endpoints
- Then, click on New+ option to create the new migration endpoint
- Select IMAP under the Select migration endpoint type page
- On the IMAP migration configuration page, you need to set IMAP server to imap.gmail.com and keep all the default settings same.
- Click Next button. Next, the migration service will use settings to check the connection to Gmail system. Now, the Enter General Information page appears if the connection works
- Under the Enter General Information page, enter the name of migration endpoint. Leave the 2 boxes blank to use default values and click New to make the migration endpoint
Step 5: Move Mailbox by Creating the Migration Batch
- In the Office 365 Admin Center, select Admin Centers and Exchange option
- Under the Exchange Admin Center, click on Recipients >> Migration
- Now, go to New (+) option and choose Migrate to Exchange Online
- Select IMAP migration and press Next button
- In Select the user’s screen, you need to click on Browse
- Select CSV file that created previously and press Next
- After validation, O365 will show the Gmail mailboxes and click Next
- You should continue with default values on IMAP migration configuration window and click Next button
- On Move configuration page, type the name of migration batch inside the box. Additionally, you must provide folder names which you need to exclude. Click Add(+) icon and insert them to the exclude list
- Lastly, on the Start the Batch page, you need to provide all the required details and start the migration process
Step 6: Update DNS Records to Directly Migrate G Suite to Office 365
- From Admin Center, you need to click on Settings
- Then, choose Domains >> select your domain name. Now, it will show ‘Setup in Progress’
- After that, you can view the Setup Completed notification
#2 Alternate Approach to Migrate G Suite Mailboxes to Office 365
In case if the steps are performed incorrectly, then it can cause data loss. Thus, it is highly recommended to opt for an instant solution, i.e., Google Apps to Office 365 Migration Tool. It is the perfect tool that helps to migrate mailbox from Google Apps to Office 365 account in just a few clicks.
You can perform Single use account as well as Domain user data to Office 365 with this utility. The tool is faster and ensures the complete safety of your data.
You can find the free version of the software here:
On The Final Note
Many companies want to migrate G Suite to Office 365 as Office 365 provides fast performance, better management, and security options. Thus, in this blog, we have explained a manual procedure to perform data migration. Along with this, a simple and reliable way to migrate mailbox from G suite to O365 account is described in this blog. Users can also rely on the provided approach because it is recommended by a technical expert from all over the world.