Fix SQL Server Backup Error 3013 – Backup Database is Terminating Abnormally. sqlstate 42000
Let us assume that you are restoring a database backup from any disk or tape. While doing this, you have changed the logical name of the database. And then you may receive the following error message: SQL Server backup error 3013 or Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Backup database is terminating abnormally. This error is interconnected with restoring the database. Using the statement RESTORE FILELISTONLY, a user can check the backup file. You will notice that the modified logical name of the database is corrupted or damaged and the last character of the name is truncated.
Clark Williams: “Hi. The problem is when we tried to back up and restore our database using SQL Server 2008, we got an error. The schedule was to create seven backups of twenty-three databases. The schedule worked fine for some time. But, for the past two days, all the backups failed. The server is showing the following error:
What would cause the above problem to occur? How should I correct it and prevent it from happening again?”
SQL Server Backup Error 3013 – Causes
Oftentimes, when an administrator is backing up the database, SQL 3013 flashes up on the screen. The possible reasons why this SQL server backup error 3013 is displayed are:
- Write failure occurred while creating the backup: When there is insufficient storage space on the backup drive, the file gets compressed.
- When unauthorized users attempt to view network drives SQL Server may result in the error.
- Media failure occurred: When the storage device where the backup file is saved undergoes any media failure, this may also result in SQL Server Error
- When the database is in Suspect mode, and the user tries to perform a backup of the transactional log, the error may occur.
Depending on the version of the SQL Server program that you are using, the frequency of this problem may change. So below we have told the error based on some versions.
Dependency Upon Versions of SQL Server
Errors in the SQL Server are dependent on the operating system and the versions of the QL application. The stated point will become more clear in the following section:
- SQL Server 7.0: In this version, an error occurs when a clustered index is created corresponding to each filegroup.
- SQL Server 2000: This error occurs in another database. There are two possible situations under which the error in this version occurs:
First, the database is lesser than 2 GB in size
Second, the other database is having size more than the size of the pre-existing database
- SQL Server 2005: In this version, the error occurs when an administrator tries to back up both data files as well as log files simultaneously.
Fix SQL Server Backup Error 3013 – Workaround
To manually restore SQL error 3013, there are several manual methods. Which have been described in detail. Also, both of them have their shortcomings. Well let’s follow the steps of the solution:
# 1: Check the Security Permission for User
- The “.bak” file of the database can be found by navigating to the location of the backup folder.
- Click Properties from the context menu of the backup file.
- Click on it to open the Security tab in the Properties window.
- Now see the permissions denied for authenticated users.
- Remove the denied permission by clicking Edit.
- Select OK.
# 2: Get Rid of Old Backups
To fix the problem, manually delete the previous backup and allow SQL Server to run the new backup on the backup device. To manually delete the last backup, use the command:
# 3: Try Recovering a Different Backup Set
If the error is occurring due to a backup restore, try to recover different backup sets from the backup device by giving file numbers.
A backup set series that needs to be restored is indicated by a file number.
- To recover the backup set from Query Analyzer, issue the following command:
- To recover a specific backup set, use the following command:
Limitations of the Manual Solution
Although the manual solution is free of cost, there are some other drawbacks associated with the manual approach. The limitations of the manual method to fix SQL Server Backup Error 3013 are listed below:
- The workarounds depend on the version of the SQL Server
- A user must have good technical knowledge of SQL Server
- Restoration using a manual method may result in a loss of information.
The best solution to resolve the error is to use a third-party tool like Revove SQL Backup Recovery Tool. It is a trouble-free solution to recover corruption and damage issues in SQL Database. According to the experts, it is the master solution to fix corruption in SQL. The user can easily recover the SQL Server database and also the user can export the data to SQL Server easily. Some of the features which make it distinct from other available products are:
- A file can be saved with two options: With only schema or With Schema & Data
- Supports SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008, 2008 R2, 2005, 2 and 000 versions
- Preview and Recover Deleted SQL Table Records
- Supports SQL Server version 2019 and below versions.
Note: The user can also read another similar post.
When an admin changes the logical name of the database while creating the backup of the SQL file, SQL Server Backup error 3013 occurs. There are workarounds to eliminate the error. But, the problem is that the manual method is not that effective to remove the error. It may also result in loss of data. To overcome these problems, users can opt for an automated solution. This is the professional solution to fix SQL Server Backup Error 3013, level 16, state 1, line 1 backup database is terminating abnormally.