Fix SQL Server Backup Error – Backup Database is Terminating Abnormally. sqlstate 42000 (Error 3013)
Let us assume that you are restoring a database backup from any disk or tape. While doing this, you have changed the logical name of the database. And then you may receive the following error message: SQL Server backup error 3013 or Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1 Backup database is terminating abnormally
This error is interconnected to restoring the database. Using the statement RESTORE FILELISTONLY, a user can check the backup file. You will notice that the modified logical name of the database is corrupted or damaged and the last character of the name is truncated.
Consider the following user Query: SQL Server Backup Error 3013
Clark Williams: “Hi. The problem is when we tried to backup and restore our database using SQL Server 2008, we got an error. The schedule was to create seven backups of twenty-three databases. The schedule worked fine for some time. But, from the past two days, all the backups failed. The server is showing the following error:
Write on “T:\\.bak” failed: 170(The requested resource is in use.)
Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Server, Line 1
BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.
What would cause the above problem to occur? How should I correct it and prevent it from happening again?”
Important Note: In case if your SQL Server Backup files are corrupted and you are looking for a Quick Solution to repair corrupted .bak files then I suggest you take the help of SQL Backup Recovery Software. For complete details, the user can try the demo version of this software.
Download Now Purchase Now 100% Secure
Causes For the SQL Server Backup Database Error 3013
Oftentimes, when an administrator is backing up the database, SQL 3013 flashes up on the screen. The possible reasons due to which this SQL server backup error 3013 is displayed are:
- Write failure occurred while creating the backup: When there is insufficient storage space on the backup drive, the file gets compressed.
- When unauthorized users attempt to view network drive, SQL Server may result in the error.
- Media failure occurred: When the storage device where the backup file is saved undergoes any media failure, this may also result in SQL Server Error
- When the database is in Suspect mode, and the user tries to perform a backup of the transactional log, the error may occur.
Dependency upon Versions of SQL Server and Operating Systems
Errors in the SQL Server are dependent on the operating system and the versions of SQL application. The stated point will become more clear in the following section:
- SQL Server 7.0: In this version, an error occurs when a clustered index is created corresponding to each filegroup.
- SQL Server 2000: This error occurs in relation to another database. There are two possible situations under which the error in this version occurs:
First, the database is lesser than 2 GB in size
Second, the other database is having size more than the size of the pre-existing database
- SQL Server 2005: In this version, the error occurs when an administrator tries to back up both data files as well as log files simultaneously.
Workaround to Fix MSG 3013, level 16, state 1, line 1 Backup Database is Terminating Abnormally
To restore SQL Error 3013 manually, there are 2 manual methods. Both of them are described in detail:
In this method, you need to take the database offline after changing the logical name of the database and then again bring the database online.
Following command needs to be performed:
When you change the logical name of the database, insert a white space at the end of new file name. The command to implement the following change is:
Note: It is possible that you have to restart the database after changing the logical name of your database
Limitations of the Manual Solution to Troubleshoot SQL Server 2012 Backup Error 3013
Although the manual solution is free of cost, there are some of the drawbacks associated with the manual approach. The limitations of the manual method to fix SQL Server Backup Error 3013 are listed below:
- The workarounds depends on the version of the SQL Server
- A user must have a good technical knowledge regarding SQL Server
- Restoration using manual method may result in loss of information.
Professional Solution to Fix Backup Database is Terminating Abnormally. Sqlstate 42000 (error 3013)
The best solution to resolve the error is to use a third-party tool like Revove SQL Database Repair Tool. It is the trouble-free solution to fix msg 3013, level 16, state 1, line 1 backup database is terminating abnormally. According to the experts, it is the master solution to fix SQL Server 3013 error. By using this the user can easily recover the SQL Server database and also the user can export the data to SQL Server easily. Some of the features which make it distinct from other available products are:
- A file can be saved with two options: With only schema or With Schema & Data
- Supports SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008, 2008 R2, 2005, 2000 versions
- Preview and Recover Deleted SQL Table Records
- Supports SQL Server version 2019 and below versions.
Note: The user can also read the another similar post to fix SQL Server error 823.
When an admin change the logical name of the database while creating the backup of SQL file, SQL Server Backup error 3013 occurs. There are workarounds to eliminate the error. But, the problem is that the manual method is not that effective to remove the error. In fact, it may also result in loss of data. To overcome these problems, users can opt for an automated solution. This is the professional solution to fix SQL Server Backup Error 3013, level 16, state 1, line 1 backup database is terminating abnormally.